Self-care is a necessity for anyone but when you have anxiety or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) it takes on greater importance. While it’s extremely important for me to make self-care a priority, I struggle to do just that. I struggle to find the time to take care of myself because I am a military wife and mom to two daughters 5 years old and younger. For the past two years I have made it a goal to make my self-care a priority, however, I have failed to reach that goal both years. When I put this goal on My 18 Goals to Achieve in 2018 list, I became determined to accomplish it! I always say there is no better way to motivate yourself than to have accountability. You guys are my accountability!
This year I have already made if farther than any other year. I sat down and created a self-care plan…hello accomplishment! (LOL) Seriously though, I decided to split my routine up into morning, afternoon and evening. That makes it feel like I am not spending a lot more time on myself than I am taking care of all my other tasks. My morning routine is a bit longer but an early wake up means waking up before everyone else in the house. I should also add that this daily self-care routine is for weekdays. My weekends will include some of these but a few differing factors…like sleeping in because I LOVE sleep. So here is my daily self-care plan.
Now, the things listed are wonderful and will help start, maintain and end my day in the best way possible. Each of these things helps me reach goals as well as takes my mental, physical and emotional health into account. It’s no secret that even doing this routine won’t eliminate all of my bad days. I also know that the weekends will be a bit different so I want to share with you some other things that I will incorporate into my day or my weekends if need be. These are self-care ideas that you can incorporate into your day whenever you need.
30 self-Care Ideas You Can Incorporate Into Any Day
- Read a new book.
- Take a bubble bath (or just add epsom salt).
- Organize your closet.
- Color…you know those awesome adult coloring books.
- Buy yourself flowers.
- Go outside and take pictures of nature.
- Spend 10 minutes laying in the sunshine (if you are lucky enough to get it)!
- Pray! (I have this on my list but it deserves to be here too.)
- Start a journal.
- Fix your hair, like curl it and everything.
- Get your nails done.
- Create a life goals list.
- Have a glass of wine.
- Get a massage.
- Listen to a playlist that makes you happy.
- Take an afternoon nap. (Definitely took one today!)
- Write down 10 things you are grateful for.
- Unfollow negative people on social media.
- Say positive affirmations, out loud!
- Get dressed up for the day, for no reason.
- De-clutter three things from your office or home.
- Make dinner in the crock pot.
- Write a letter to release emotions.
- Do a crafty project.
- Watch your favorite movie for the millionth time.
- Write a thank you note to someone….just because.
- Go for a walk.
- Binge watch your favorite TV show. (Netflix, Hulu, etc.)
- Go through a room in your home and donate unused or unwanted items.
- Volunteer! Local shelter, soup kitchen, kid’s school….just give back.
This year is meant to be your best year yet and making yourself and your self-care a priority will help you accomplish that. Everyone’s self-care looks differently but hopefully laying my routine out there for you all with some extra ideas will get you started on the right path.
Peace, love and happiness is being sent your way! <3